Do you have a long list of things you'd like to do if only your bunions didn't hurt? Fortunately, you may be able to find relief with a few modifications and a visit to the foot doctor. Your Evansville, IN, podiatrists Dr. Charlotte Reisinger and Dr. Dusky Farmer treat bunion pain and other foot and ankle conditions.
How can I relieve my bunion pain?
If your bunions stop you from doing the things you want to do, try one or more of these strategies and treatments:
- Reevaluate Your Shoe Choices: Do you continue to squeeze your feet into the same shoes you've always worn, despite your bunions? Pressure and friction from tight shoes or high heels increase bunion pain and may even worsen your bunion. When you shop for shoes, choose footwear that offers plenty of room in the toe area.
- Try Toe Exercises: Spend a few minutes every night performing toe exercises. Toe exercises help reduce stiffness and may also help you avoid arthritis or bursitis in the joint.
- Take a Seat: Keeping pain under control can be as simple as staying off your feet. Although you certainly can't sit 24 hours a day, avoiding standing or walking for long periods can help.
- Ask Your Evansville Foot Doctor About Night Splints and Orthotics: Night splints, worn while you sleep, improve the position of the joint at the base of your big toe, which can reduce painful symptoms. Orthotics, custom-made, prescription shoe inserts, realign your feet when you wear shoes. Both devices can improve your comfort level and reduce pain.
- Consider Bunion Surgery: Although surgery isn't always necessary, it may be the best choice if your bunion causes severe pain or interferes with your usual activities. Your podiatrist may recommend this option if other treatments aren't helpful.
Ease your bunion pain with a trip to the foot doctor. Call Evansville, IN, podiatrists Dr. Charlotte Reisinger and Dr. Dusky Farmer at (812) 421-8555 to schedule an appointment.